Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Grace Scott

image1.jpeg

Grace Scott
Anne Brigman, "The Breeze"
1910, Warm-toned gelatin silver print

I selected this image because it speaks to me about female empowerment. When I look at this photo I see a woman standing tall, proud and nude in nature, which makes it absolutely beautiful. That is who Anne Brigman was though, she loved the nude female figure, she used women to represent mythical spirits and sprites. Anne would usually photograph herself or other female photographers because models would refuse, they didn't want all of their flaws on display. The scarf/ shawl flowing around her shoulders represents, to me, the complete freedom this woman feels in being so exposed in nature. The fact that you can't see her makes her seem as if she is a spirit in another world. This photo has taught me a lot about the effects light and a filter can have on an image, they can make an image appear to be something completely different than what they truly are.