Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Arianna Gilmer



















Arianna Gilmer
Sharon Core, "1885"
2011, Chromogenic print

I choose this image ,because it challenges the idea of photography that subconsciously been ingrained in my head from childhood. Popular photography is often classified as "pretty image" that is to be what the masses want to see. However, Core challenges her audience to view the stereotypical flowers in a pot image in a different lens. The picture captures the moment of the flowers beginning to wilt and and go limp in the black pot, this being the point in which people are to discard the flowers. Growing up my mom loved the idea of hanging flowers to dry around the house and eventually them into wax. For me the image evokes a nostalgic memory of the flowers drying around the house in my childhood .There is beauty to be seen at every stage of life a flower goes through and Core does a great job of capturing the beauty in the chiaroscuro of the image.