Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Ashley Wasson



















Ashley wasson
Jordan Matters "after dark times square"
2016

 I think the idea and meaning behind this photo is freedom of being exposed and feeling young. In looking at photography books, I found Dancers After Dark by Jordan Matters, a Manhattan portrait photographer based in New York. He has a collection of photographs of dancers in everyday situations around the world. The visual idea was interesting to me because it reminded me of feeling young, wild, and free. In addition, the psychology behind this photo is why I picked it. Because Jordan was shy and socially awkward, he was bullied at school. He explained that his days were a never ending torture, always wishing for the night to come where social pressures no longer wore him down and he can be himself. The night was when he allowed himself to be free and happy so he shows these though naked dancers in the night; we both agree that dancers look the freest. They are able to move around without any thing holding them down. I relate to this artist because I have always longed for the freedom to express myself truly and be a "dancer in the night